Olive oil treatments can offer dry or damaged hair with essential fatty acids and much needed moisture. Like commercial hot oil treatments, olive oil can give your hair softness and shine. It is gentle and natural, which makes it ideal for anyone battling dry hair, including children.
A warm oil treatment can be done after chemical processing or accustomed to help hair texture and condition after environmental damage. Naturally dry hair, such as mine, may especially take advantage of occasional olive oil treatments. And it has made a difference! I alternate this with the shea butter treatment I had posted about.
The key to using olive oil like a hair treatment is to make sure you use the appropriate olive oil. Cold-pressed, extra-virgin olive oil is the highest quality of all oil varieties. It comes down from the first pressing from the olives and is filled with monounsaturated fats and vitamins. A popular and affordable brand is Goya Virgin Oil which is sold everywhere.
- Try taking some olive oil in a microwave-proof bowl and heat it within the microwave for 30 seconds. Alternatively, you are able to dunk the bottle of olive oil inside a bowl filled with hot water or place a bowl of olive oil on the saucepan and heat it until warm. However, make sure that you do not overheat the oil otherwise you could burn your scalp.
- Making use of your finger tips, massage the oil gently on your hair and scalp, beginning with the roots and going down to the tip of your strands. The aim is to soak your hair completely with olive oil. Rub the oil in your scalp until the oil is totally absorbed.
- Allow the oil to sit for thirty minutes before you wash it off. Since olive oil is thick and high in consistency, it might take some effort and a minimum of two washes to rinse completely from your hair.
- Wash your hair with cold water after which lather your hair with regular shampoo and rinse. Now squirt more shampoo on your hair, lather and wait for three minutes for the shampoo to be absorbed by the hair. Rinse off with cold water and apply a good conditioner.
- Once done, towel dry your hair. Blow drying your hair would only help make it drier. Therefore, it’s best to air dry your hair for best results.
Hope this helps!!
~ Neni ~