Acne can be a major inconvenience to anybody and can sometimes cause a blow to one’s self-confidence, therefore, it is important to know the different ways of treating it. Some people prefer to buy products off the shelf while others prefer natural remedies that can be prepared at home.
Here are 6 ways to treat acne naturally right in the comfort of your home:
- Raw Honey: Use raw honey to supplement your cleansing routine. It can be used as a gentle facial mask two to three times a week.
- Apply a tablespoonful of raw honey all over your cleansed face.
- Leave for 20 minutes before rinsing off with just water.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (also known as ACV): It is derived from the fermentation of apple cider which is unfiltered apple juice from pressed apples. It possesses anti-bacterial properties which are due to the presence of several organic acids such as lactic acid.
- Mix 1 part ACV with 3 parts water. If your skin is sensitive, add more water.
- After cleansing your face, soak a cotton ball in the mixture and apply gently to the skin.
- Leave for 7 to 20 seconds before rinsing with water.
- Repeat this routine once or twice a day.
NOTE: Applying undiluted ACV to the skin can cause irritation and burns. Therefore, it should always be diluted with water before using on the skin.
- Tea tree Oil: is an essential oil which is extracted from the leaves of the tea tree, Melaleuca alternifolia, which is native to Australia. It has anti-bacterial properties which makes it excellent in treating pimples. As is the case with every essential oil, always dilute tea tree oil before applying on the skin.
- Mix 1 part tea tree oil with 9 parts water (for example, mix 1 drop of tea tree oil with 9 drops of water).
- Dip a clean cotton bud in the mixture and gently apply to the affected areas.
- Repeat once or twice a day.
- Bentonite clay: It is great at firming and detoxifying the skin. It is one of the most effective and powerful healing clays there is. Here is a simple but effective clay mask you can make for clear skin.
- Ingredients needed are: 1 teaspoonful of bentonite clay
- 1 teaspoonful of raw honey
- 1 teaspoonful of water (or more if needed)
- A non-metal bowl e.g. glass, plastic
- Mix all the ingredients to form a smooth mixture
- Immediately apply to face and neck
- Leave on until the mask hardens
- Wash off with a face towel or washcloth soaked in warm water.
- Apply this mask once a week. If you have really oily skin, do it twice a week.
- Aloe Vera gel: It is commonly used to treat burns, rashes and other skin problems. It contains salicylic acid which is used in treating acne.
- Using a spoon, scrape out the gel from the inside of an Aloe Vera leaf
- Apply the gel directly to clean dry skin
- Leave to dry and do not wash off
- Reapply once or twice a day
- Get enough sleep: It may not sound like much but getting at least 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep will do wonders for the body. Why? Because the body needs adequate rest to improve metabolism. It also helps your skin blemishes heal quickly and properly.