This detox method has been making the rounds for quite some time. However, for the sake of clarity, let’s define this phenomenon that is Oil Pulling.
What is Oil Pulling?
Simply put, it is the act of swishing oil (usually coconut oil) around in your mouth for up to 20 minutes.
As strange as it may sound to some people, it is an ancient Ayurveda practice (Ayurveda is a traditional Indian system of medicine which was developed over 3000 years ago).
It is claimed that oil pulling can do everything from cure halitosis to clear acne. Still not sure about it? Read on to see how it’s done.
NOTE: Use ONLY pure and organic oils for oil pulling.
- Put a teaspoon of oil (usually coconut, sesame or sunflower oils)
- Swish around for 20 minutes. If you cannot oil pull for 20 minutes, then swishing for 5 to 10 minutes will suffice for a start.
- Spit into the waste bin. Do not spit into the sink. The oil may solidify and clog the pipes.
- Do not swallow the oil as it is likely to be full of bacteria and toxins that are harmful to the body.
- Rinse mouth thoroughly with warm water
- Brush your teeth. This will remove any remaining traces of oil in your mouth.
Ever tried it? Let us know in the comments.